I have a number of concerns about my child’s learning and development

I have a number of concerns about my child’s learning and development

Who What do they do How
Your child’s school Student Support Services assist children and young people faced with learning barriers to achieve their educational and developmental potential. They provide strategies and specialised support at individual, group, school and network levels.
Student Support Services comprise a broad range of professionals including psychologists, guidance officers, speech pathologists, social workers and visiting teachers. Student Support Services officers work as part of an integrated health and wellbeing team within networks of schools, focusing on providing group-based and individual support, workforce capacity building and the provision of specialised services
A child can be referred to our service by the parents contacting the government school where their child is enrolled (or is going to be enrolled) 


More information

What is a disability?

A disability is attributable to an intellectual, psychological, sensory or physical impairment or a combination of these impairments and is likely to be permanent and results in reduced capacity for communication, learning or mobility and requires continuing support services.

What is a significant developmental delay?

A child has a significant developmental delay if he/she is delayed in two or more of the following areas:

  • Social/emotional development
  • Self care
  • Receptive language development (how information is understood)
  • Expressive language development (how information is given)
  • Cognitive development (thinking skills/problem solving)
  • Motor and physical development

And requires a multidisciplinary service.