My child’s wellbeing (emotions, moods, mental health)

I am worried about my child’s wellbeing (emotions, moods, mental health)


What do they do


Your child’s school

Student Support Services assist children and young people faced with learning barriers to achieve their educational and developmental potential. They provide strategies and specialised support at individual, group, school and network levels.

Student Support Services comprise a broad range of professionals including psychologists, guidance officers, speech pathologists, social workers and visiting teachers. Student Support Services officers work as part of an integrated health and wellbeing team within networks of schools, focusing on providing group-based and individual support, workforce capacity building and the provision of specialised services

 A child can be referred to our service by the parents contacting the government school where their child is enrolled (or is going to be enrolled)


Who is a paediatrician?

A paediatrician is a doctor who specialises in children’s health and development.

When do you refer to a paediatrician?

A referral to a paediatrician would be made to gain support for any child showing developmental delays or concerns.

Paediatrician support must be gained prior to a referral for an Autism Spectrum Disorder assessment.

Who can refer to a paediatrician?

To see a paediatrician a referral must be gained from the family doctor (GP).

Once a referral is made by the family doctor, the parent is required to make contact with the paediatrician’s office to make an appointment. 

Paediatricians within Wyndham

Family Doctor (GP)


Medical Centres and Hospitals within Wyndham


The psychologist monitors children’s overall development by observing and understanding progress in learning alongside behavioural, emotional and social development. The psychologist may also be available to help if there is some concern about a child’s emotional well-being and behaviour or difficulties within the family.

When do you refer to a psychologist?

• Involvement from a psychologist would occur when a child is displaying difficulties with their behaviour and/or interaction with their peers in a social setting.

• A child who requires support with emotional and/or social development including stress and anxiety issues may also benefit from the services of a psychologist.

How do you refer to a psychologist?

Parents are able to contact the therapist directly or through the family doctor.

Families may be able to obtain Medicare rebates for seeing a psychologist through a Mental Health Treatment Plan which is organised by their GP.

Refer to the Mental Health Services page or refer to the Australian Psychological Society website to search for a Psychologist within your area.