My child’s language and speech

I am worried about my child’s language and speech


What do they do


Your child’s school

Student Support Services assist children and young people faced with learning barriers to achieve their educational and developmental potential. They provide strategies and specialised support at individual, group, school and network levels.

Student Support Services comprise a broad range of professionals including psychologists, guidance officers, speech pathologists, social workers and visiting teachers. Student Support Services officers work as part of an integrated health and wellbeing team within networks of schools, focusing on providing group-based and individual support, workforce capacity building and the provision of specialised services.

 A child can be referred to our service by the parents contacting the government school where their child is enrolled (or is going to be enrolled)


Who is a paediatrician?

A paediatrician is a doctor who specialises in children’s health and development.

When do you refer to a paediatrician?

A referral to a paediatrician would be made to gain support for any child showing developmental delays or concerns.

Paediatrician support must be gained prior to a referral for an Autism Spectrum Disorder assessment.

Who can refer to a paediatrician?

To see a paediatrician a referral must be gained from the family doctor (GP).

Once a referral is made by the family doctor, the parent is required to make contact with the paediatrician’s office to make an appointment. 

Paediatricians within Wyndham

Family Doctor (GP)


Medical Centres and Hospitals within Wyndham

Speech Pathologist

Speech therapists

A speech therapist sees children who experience difficulties with talking or understanding   language, including the social use of language as needed in conversing with others, asking for help etc. Advice is available to families in regards to encouraging language development at home. Speech therapists also work with children who have problems eating or drinking.

How do I refer to a speech therapist?

You can contact a speech therapist service directly to make an appointment.

For those with multiple concerns go to your GP and get a Chronic Disease Management Plan – this enables Medicare rebate for up to 5 visits.

Refer to the Speech Pathology Australia website to search for a Speech Pathologist within your area