My child’s wellbeing (emotions, moods, mental health)

I am worried about my child’s wellbeing (emotions, moods, mental health)


What do they do


Maternal & Child   Health Nurse (M&CH)

Maternal and Child Health Services offer professional nursing support and advice for parents of children from birth to school age.

Services include consultation and support with parenting issues; regular health and     development checks for children at 10 key ages; groups for first time parents; health screening; information about community and family support services; and referrals to other professionals as required.

You can book your appointment by completing an online registration form

Or by contacting the Wyndham City Maternal and Child Health Unit on 9742 8148.

Maternal and Child Health Line – phone 13 22 29


Who is a paediatrician?

A paediatrician is a doctor who specialises in children’s health and development.

When do you refer to a paediatrician?

A referral to a paediatrician would be made to gain support for any child showing developmental delays or concerns.

Paediatrician support must be gained prior to a referral for an Autism Spectrum Disorder assessment.

Who can refer to a paediatrician?

To see a paediatrician a referral must be gained from the family doctor (GP).

Once a referral is made by the family doctor, the parent is required to make contact with the paediatrician’s office to make an appointment. 

Paediatricians within Wyndham

Family Doctor (GP)


Medical Centres and Hospitals within Wyndham

Preschool Field Officer Service




The psychologist monitors children’s overall development by observing and understanding progress in learning alongside behavioural, emotional and social development. The psychologist may also be available to help if there is some concern about a child’s emotional well-being and behaviour or difficulties within the family.

When do you refer to a psychologist?

• Involvement from a psychologist would occur when a child is displaying difficulties with their behaviour and/or interaction with their peers in a social setting.

• A child who requires support with emotional and/or social development including stress and anxiety issues may also benefit from the services of a psychologist.

How do you refer to a psychologist?

Parents are able to contact the therapist directly or through the family doctor.

Families may be able to obtain Medicare rebates for seeing a psychologist through a Mental Health Treatment Plan which is organised by their GP.

Refer to the Mental Health Services page or refer to the Australian Psychological Society website to search for a Psychologist within your area.