How my child moves (crawling, walking, running)

I am worried about how my child moves (crawling, walking, running)


What do they do


Maternal & Child   Health Nurse (M&CH)

Maternal and Child Health Services offer professional nursing support and advice for parents of children from birth to school age.

Services include consultation and support with parenting issues; regular health and     development checks for children at 10 key ages; groups for first time parents; health screening; information about community and family support services; and referrals to other professionals as required.

You can book your appointment by completing an online registration form

Or by contacting the Wyndham City Maternal and Child Health Unit on 9742 8148.

Maternal and Child Health Line – phone 13 22 29


Who is a paediatrician?

A paediatrician is a doctor who specialises in children’s health and development.

When do you refer to a paediatrician?

A referral to a paediatrician would be made to gain support for any child showing developmental delays or concerns.

Paediatrician support must be gained prior to a referral for an Autism Spectrum Disorder assessment.

Who can refer to a paediatrician?

To see a paediatrician a referral must be gained from the family doctor (GP).

Once a referral is made by the family doctor, the parent is required to make contact with the paediatrician’s office to make an appointment. 

Paediatricians within Wyndham

Family Doctor (GP)


Medical Centres and Hospitals within Wyndham

Occupational Therapists (OT)

Occupational therapists (OT)

Paediatric occupational therapy focuses on helping children develop skills which enable them to achieve the best of their abilities in areas including independence in self-care, sensory processing and use of their hands to manipulate equipment effectively.

The term ‘occupational’ in occupational therapy refers to the ‘occupations’ of our daily life. For a child this could be Kindergarten, school, self-care or play.

How do you refer to an occupational therapist?

You can contact the occupational therapist service directly to make an appointment.

You can also refer to OT Australia website to search for an Occupational Therapist within your area




Physiotherapy aims to improve a child’s movement abilities through the use of methods such as movement training, strengthening, exercise, stretching, adapted equipment, motor learning and play as well as education.

Physiotherapists can treat pain caused by joint, muscle and nerve problems in children.

Refer to Raising Children Network website for
more information.